Store Link

Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Self quarantined March 26 - Okay, this is getting old

OKAY, THIS IS GETTING OLD
I think back to when I was in long-distance track in high school. I ran the one mile and two miles events (Yes, this was a premetric time). The strategy of these long-distance races is broken down into three parts; 1) A short sprint out of the pack and get your position. 2) Hold that position, get behind a person so they "break the wind" for you, and only pass that person if they slow your pace. 3) And the last is the all-out sprint to the en; this was usually the remaining 150 - 100 yards of the race.

But the most challenging part of the race was holding your position. You had to focus on your pace. Sometime I would keep a song running in my head that would help me keep a rhythm and distract me from any physical pain. Also, I could not get distracted with other races passing me. It too easy to start sprinting in the middle leg to keep up with the other runner...If I did that, then I had no energy for the sprint at the end. So, I stayed focused on myself and my pace.
Additionally, I needed a person to help me out. This person was the runner in front of me who broke the wind. You had to be close enough to get into their draft - believe it or not, this helped. In long-distance running pacing, finding a person to help you, and setting your pace so you can finish the race were essential strategies.

This is where I am at in the self quarantined. The novelty has worn off. Yes, the time off is nice, and I enjoy my family. But the number of deaths reported in the news is becoming disheartening (69,000 confirmed cases and 1,050 have died in the US), the economy is tanking - the latest report is nearly 3 million unemployed, and there is a reported Conorvirus case in our small town of Canby. 

Then, there are my students. Yes, believe it or not, I find my thoughts going to them more and more. For some of my students, I know school is a better place for them than their home. A public school is a place where they have structure, where they meet positive adults, and for some, the only place to receive a good meal.

But like my days running long-distance track, I am in the second stage. I need to focus on myself (and my family). Do not focus on the distractions of the pain, but take it to step by step. In this case, it is day by day. Also, having the person (or people) to help you break the wind. Or maybe I am the one who is breaking the wind for them. To help them get through the race and, in this case, the self-quarantine.

WE STOPPED AT McDONALD'S


The other day, my son, who used to work at a local McDonald's, needed to pick up his check. I agreed to go with him. Yes, I am an over-protective Dad. As we waited in the lobby, this is how it looked. - see photo. Note the yellow chain in the corner of the picture. Yes, the entire setting area is chained off. By the way, our sone wasn't fired or laid off. Parents orders. Since his job required him to work the drive-through and to take people's money, we figured his likely exposer with an infected person would increase since he was working the drive-through AND taking people's money. Additionally, since it's McDonald's, he would be exposed to people traveling through town. So we thought it wise to keep him home. Better safe than sorry. Understandably he thought we were overreacting.





No comments:

Post a Comment