Store Link

Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Monday, July 13, 2015

THREE HELPFUL BEGINNING OF THE YEAR TIPS....

Yes, I know summer is not over, but school will be here before we know it.  This being the case, here are THREE trusty tips to help you start the year off right.

#1)  Greet the students at the door.  There are many studies that show simply saying "Good morning" to students as they walk into the classroom helps maintain a positive learning environment.  I teach middle and high school students, so I simply give a quick greeting, nothing too long or drawn out.  Also, I can see if Johnny is having a good day or bad day before we start any work. 

2) Give them work.  As soon as the students walk into my classroom I have an entry task on the screen.  This sends a message to my students that we work from the very first second they walk into my classroom.  Meanwhile, I can greet the students or help a student get their missing work when they were absent.  Also, this is not busy work.  Sometimes these are practice short answer questions about a concept or idea we studied yesterday.  Other times, it might be a restated objective question and it gives me an opportunity to check for understanding. 

3) The power of the seating chart.  I have discovered that a seating chart is a great way to have my students stay focus.  When those chatty students sit next to those other students from outside their normal social groups, then working seems like a better option.  Also, feel free to move students when every you like.  There is not rule about keep students in their same seats all year.  I changed my seating charts every quarter, or when I feel like the students are become too chatty.

No comments:

Post a Comment