Store Link

Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Sunday, August 13, 2017

HATE IN THE NEWS-ACCEPTANCE IN THE CLASSROOM

Let's face it, the last 24 hours news from Charlottesville, Virginia has been disparaging and heart sickening.

But the large and most important question for me, as a public school teacher, what can I do?

Here are some plans of action for the coming school year.

#1 - NEVER LOSE HOPE - As sad and unnerving the news from Charlottesville is, I must NEVER forget the most immediate and best impact I can have on society is within my classroom.  Don't get me wrong, I am not mitigating the impact of demonstrations, contacting representatives, or making my voice heard in other ways.  But, I must NEVER succumb to the feeling of hopelessness.  As a public educator, I can make a difference, in small ways, in small steps, within my classroom. Working with students and teaching tolerance in small ways, day in and day out.

#2 - THE SYLLABUS - Let ALL my students and parents know that I accept them as they are...no questions, no judgment.  Building a safe classroom environment starts with me.  As I am reviewing my classroom procedures, I notice nothing is mentioned about this in my class syllabus. It states nothing about about accepting ALL students or my goal to create a safe learning environment where bullying and intimidation is not tolerated. IT STARTS HERE!

#3 - RACE ISSUE - Let's face it - discussing race in the classroom such is VERY difficult. As a public school educator, my words carry weight and significances.  Words can be misinterpreted or students sometimes only hear a part of a sentence; all of which could led to an angry parent or community. But, as a society we need to face it and understand it is NOT best left untouched.  Race can NOT be the elephant in the room any more. But, I must teach my students how to respectfully discuss the issue of race.  How to listen and NOT shout.  Remind them that our diversity is our STRENGTH!

No comments:

Post a Comment