Store Link

Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Friday, February 10, 2017

Teaching GRIT - WEEK 2

Monday: Teachable moment - Sunday was the Super Bowl and the New England Patriots won the game after a heroic come-from-behind effort.  Not many students are Patriots fans, so some students could not get past the win for a not-so-favorite team.  But, I used it as an example of what people can do when they are focused on the "power of yet" and overcoming obstacles.


Friday students took a Grit Reflection Sheet:  They answered four questions about their successes and failures, mistakes from the past week.  Then students shared their thoughts in their teams and the class.

I created a Grit Reflection Sheet to allow students to think about their successes, and qualities of grit.  I had a few students share how they passed their math tests earlier this week, and they were pleasantly surprised. When I asked them what they did to pass the test, they stated they spent hours studying.  Then, I reminded them how hard work was important to their success.

I then explained to the students how when I was a young student, I believed the "smart kids" were born smart.  God blessed them with all the brains.  Meanwhile, I was not a smart kid, did very poorly in school, and born without brains.

But grit taught me to be successful.  Grit taught me to push through my failure.

I also will review the student's' reflection sheet and look for patterns, how many students focused on math, English, and I will share this information with those teachers.

Finally, I added small signs to all desks in my classroom to serve as reminders to the students.  I'm hoping these reminders will keep their eyes on the prize.

If you have any ideas about grit, and how to teach it, please let me know in the comments sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment