Store Link

Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The N word in the classroom

As an American social studies educator, it as my duty to teach students about the N-word.  After all, this word is not left in a vacuum.  There are times when teaching history this controversial word makes it's way into my classroom. Then as American history teacher, I stumble through this rocky territory when the N-word is addressed. 

ADDRESSING IT HEAD ON
When I teach certain eras of American history, the N-word unavoidably pops up.  There is no way to dodge it.  But, when it does, I address it head on with my students.  I remind students that examining history is not only studying old presidents and battles from long ago.  But it is important to study the social side of history too. What were the kinds of food people ate? What was their favorite music? Also, when studying primary documents, students study how people in the past spoke or how they used language. And this leads me to the N-word. 

First I explain to my students that the N-word (and other words like it), are used in my classroom ONLY in the historical sense.  But today, we do not use this word.  Most of the time, my students accept this explanation and we move on.

But, sometimes a student will push for a deeper explanation.  To which I explain the word is full of pain.  For many people the word drips with hatred, pain, and death. The N-word puts people of color in a subjective place in a society, with limited or no rights.  It's an outdated title used by those who seeking to keep power.

However sometime, I might have a student respond with, "But, Mr. Moran, today it's different.  The N-word is used by kids in conversations and in our music."

Yes.  This might be the case.

So I explain to my students the N-word was used (and, unfortunately still is used) by people who view people of color as being less than human.  But, in our society, all humans are born with certain inalienable rights, among them are the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights also include the right to vote, fun for an office, and hold an office.  But, those who use the N-word deem to take these right from people of color.  For the N-word makes a human to be something less than human; without basic rights.  Even those who use it today in music or an any way.

I continue to explain, that I believe ALL my students (and people) have these god given rights and therefore humans.  This is why we do not use the N-word.

Looking for the best social studies resources such as movie guides, lessons and activities on the internet?  Check them out at the Social Studies Super Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment