Store Link

Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Senator Lee visits my classroom

Today my students were so lucky and honored to have our 9th District State Senator, Abby Lee, visit us.  Senator Lee spoke to my middle and high schoolers about the importance of civic virtue and why voting is important.

Senator Lee gave a captivating lesson on the importance political involvement and civic virtue plays in our society.  The students were fully engaged as the senator gave personal examples of civic virtue, explained her job in Boise, and why she entered politics.  Then the students followed up her presentation with questions.
Senator Lee speaking to Mr. Moran's students


Thank you Senator Lee for taking time out of your schedule to visit our classroom!

Also, after her visit, I reflected upon some benefits visitors bring to a classroom.

1) You can't beat practical experience.  As a government teacher I can talk about politics, but students can hear first hand about how important their vote is from an elected representative.  Senator Lee brings the abstract ideas of politics to life with her stories; VERY COOL!

2) Sometimes it helps to have another person say the same thing.  Even though I have taught many of the concepts covered by Senator Lee, it helpful to hear it again through another person.  They put a different spin or a unique way of explaining a concept which students will remember.

3) A visitor will make their day.  I heard several students say after Senator Lee left the school, "Wow! I can't believe she took her time to visit us."  My response to my students was, "Yes, this is how government works.  Our representatives want to share their ideas with you and hear your ideas."

4) Finally, let's face it, everybody likes variety, and my student are no different.  Having a "new" person in the class breaks up the routine.  Thanks again Senator Lee for your civic virtue!

No comments:

Post a Comment